Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Logitech Alto Review

alto01.jpg

Reviewed by K.C. Kim

Product Page

Overview

Take your notebook to new heights.

Looking for more comfort from your laptop? This adjustable stand places your notebook display at eye level while the full-sized keyboard lets you type faster and with less fatigue. Easy to set up and easy to store, it works with virtually any notebook.

Easy to set up, easy to store.
The Alto™ flips open for instant use on almost any flat surface, and folds down to a compact size for easy transport and storage. Also, the keyboard folds up over your notebook when in the stand to free up space.

Notebook display riser
Elevates and extends your notebook´s display to an optimal height and distance for viewing comfort. Helps you relax while making you more productive.

Enhanced comfort
The full-sized keyboard lets you type faster, with less fatigue. The integrated soft palm rest provides extra wrist support, while keeping your hands away from the heat generated by the notebook.

One-touch hot keys
The easy-to-use media and volume controls give you instant access to your digital music. Additional hot keys provide quick access to your favorite applications, folders, and web pages.

Multipurpose USB hub
Three high-speed USB 2.0 ports add instant connectivity for your favorite peripherals—including cordless mice, webcams, printers, and external drives.

Works with virtually any notebook
Use it with your current laptop—and with your next one.

Specifications

System Requirements

* Laptop / Notebook PC (up to 9 lbs weight)
* Windows® 2000, XP™ or Vista™
* Available USB port

Note: The use of USB devices with high power requirements may require an external power adapter
Dimensions

* Height (thickness):
o Keyboard: 22.2 mm
o Closed: 35.7 mm
* Width: 427.8 mm
* Depth (front to rear)
o Open: 486.1 mm
o Closed: 237.0 mm

Package Contents

* Logitech® Alto™ keyboard
* User's guide
* 5-year limited hardware warranty

Intro – When my PC went down (Power Supply Died). I had to use my laptop as my main computer. This becomes difficult to get used to. As I am used to looking up at my 20 inch TFT Flat Panel display. While I have to look down to view my 14.1-inch LCD on my laptop. This made me decide that I needed a laptop stand. At the same time Logitech was launching their product the “Logitech Alto”. And I figured I give it try.

alto02.jpg

Design – The Logitech Alto is all black and a tad on the large side. This is partly due to the beautiful full keyboard. The Stand is well built and shows no sign of weakness. The stand is mostly made of plastic and rubberized casing. Logitech always put out quality products and the Alto is no exception.

alto03.jpg

alto04.jpg

alto05.jpg

alto06.jpg

Function – I tested the Logitech Alto with my IBM ThinkPad T43p. The Alto comes folded with two sides. On one side a full keyboard and the other the stand. The documentation that comes with it is a bit on the lite side. So I figured out most of the things on my own. On the top half there is a stand that is released through a release button. Once the stand is up you insert the laptop. Unfortunately my laptop kept sliding out. This maybe due the material the ThinkPad uses in their laptops makes them slippery. But I had hoped there would be a second security blanket to hold up the laptop other than the rubber extension on the bottom. Next I attached the usb plug to connect the built in keyboard and all ports on the dock. Now you’re set and ready to use the laptop. Not too bad of a setup process. And having the laptop in the stand gave me a closer feel to the PC experience.

alto08.jpg

Conclusion – The Logitech Alto is a good concept but does suffer from being a first generation product. Dust is a major issue and the stand didn’t work well with my particular laptop. Lightweight and smaller thinner laptops would work best with this stand.

Overall 6.9 out 10

Purchase this now at Amazon.com HERE

No comments: